Thursday, August 16, 2007

Is it just me, or do all these things seem really...lame?



Your priorities change when you're faced with the possibility of a natural disaster. Suddenly, television and movies aren't as important to you. It's truly horrific. I watched Batman Begins, but my attention wasn't really on it, so I'll have to watch it again before I decide to discuss it.And I finally finished watching my BtVS DVDs last week. I had a good cry after watching "Chosen". And this was *with the commentary on*. Maybe one day soon I'll be able to watch it all the way through.Now I'm not a huge season 7 hater, so I get annoyed by all the people putting it down. There are legitimate criticisms of season 7, but I always hate hearing people complain about it because they always focus their negativity on stuff I don't care about. The Beljoxa's Eye? Pfft. That's the least of my problems.So what especially bugged me about this season?1. Too much focus on extraneous characters and storylines - This season started off with strong arcs for Buffy, Spike, Willow, Xander, and Anya. Unfortunately, they were mostly sidelined by midseason to make room for crap like Potential training, Is Dawn a Slayer?, Is Giles the First?, Willow/Kennedy, and Wood's mommy issues. Frickin' Andrew, who was intended for comic relief, had a more emotionally complete story arc than most of our main characters. Plus, there *had* to be a way to make the Potentials and the First Evil interesting. Unfortunately, they didn't find it in time. They focused so much on the gang's interpersonal drama in season 6, and got a lot of negative feedback for it. Maybe they decided they should focus on other things in this season, and ended up tip-toeing around anything that would open up old wounds.2. Too much emphasis on the Big Bad - I prefer the days when each season had multiple character arcs and standalone episodes. In S7, almost every episode dealt with the First. Having all the Potentials inexplicably crammed into Buffy's house pretty much made that a necessity, but... I really preferred it when they learned everything about a major villain in just a few episodes, peppered throughout the season, like the Mayor or Glory. Maybe it was a little too convienient, but we didn't have to hear highly speculative exposition in every episode like with the First. Of course, the First Evil was a much bigger threat, but that didn't make it more interesting.I won't be able to get online until tomorrow, so any further discussion will have to wait until then. :(I'm planning on buying the Killers CD when I leave today. I've almost bought it twice this week. Last time, I almost bought it, but got AC/DC Live instead. But I believe today is going to be the day. When you're relatively broke like I am, you have to consider every purchase very, very carefully. Or maybe I'm just nuts.

7 comments:

aeetempcemorrre said...

Yay Buffy discussion! And when no one's coming at it from a position of hatred it's just so much more fun :DIn S7, almost every episode dealt with the First.Yeah, the build-up happened so early on and was fantastic. Right from the beginning in Lessons it got me excited. Then around the middle of the season it became a bit aimless, with the mention of it taking a break or something? after the ubervamp died. I think it's always a problem with 22 episodes to stretch the arc out over. Season 5 had a lot of padding with Glory also and that was another arc introduced early on.The potentials were definitely one of the biggest mistakes. Particularly by treating them more as representative of a theme than as individual characters in their own right. It made it so much harder to care. At first I was trying to keep track of them. Kennedy, Vi, Rona all stuck in the mind. Then it was just this swarm of faceless girls for Buffy to protect. Maybe to show how Buffy also came to view them? They definitely would have worked more if there were fewer of them so we could get to know them more. I mean if the season's going to place such a focus on them may as well give them interesting and distinctive personalities.I love Andrew so no complaints about his story *g* Not really a fan of Wood but he tied in nicely with Spike and later Faith, so he gets a pass.

torbercurniel said...

I adore Andrew. I might have sounded like I didn't, but I do. I thought Wood was a waste of space. He just felt like a filler character most of the time, and there were already too many of those.I was so looking forward to the Potentials too. I was excited to learn more about the Slayer mythology, and the prospect of a lot of Slayers was always niggling at the back of my mind as a cool idea. I thought we would get just a handful of girls and we'd see their individual struggles and whatnot. Instead, we get a faceless mob and a lot of blank reaction shots to lame speeches. Hmm, I may be slipping into bitter territory now. I'll back away slowly.

suspensionlab5250yahoocom said...

I know what you mean. Like in Potential I really liked Vi and the other potentials all meant something to me at least. Then I think it was beginning with GID that they just started swarming in and I could no longer keep track.

ptrougal said...

Yeah, Vi seemed pretty kick-ass in Chosen. We got so few true glimpses of any of the girls, except Kennedy (who I've come to appreciate a bit more. She's not so bad when she's not being a bossy bitch.)

diario2mperfeito4i said...

I totally agree with your two points.And is it just me, or was the last half of season 7 more depressing than season 6 in a way. I mean, season 6 ended on a hopeful note, at least. Buffy was going to stop being so closed off, Willow was brought back from the brink by Xander, Giles lived, and Spike got his soul back. And season 7 ended with Spike biting the dust and doubting Buffy's love, and with Anya biting the dust, with Xander missing an eye, with Willow/Kennedy (that ship just didn't feel right to me), and with the Scoobies seeming as fragmented as ever on a deeper level. What do you think?

amiilekaayahoocom said...

I do think that the group was fragmented, and that hallway scene in Chosen rang pretty hollow to me. They had time at the end of the season to resolve some of the gang's issues with each other, but they wasted it on other stuff instead. I mean, Faith/Wood are having heart-to-hearts? What a waste of time.The non-Spuffy parts of Joss's commentary really bugged me: Oh, he left Willow and Kennedy together because he wanted at least one relationship to work out. Gee thanks. And it wouldn't have been a happy ending if he killed off one of the original Scoobies, but killing off Spike and Anya is fine. I understand Joss's reasoning on most of these things, but they didn't all work on an emotional level for me.I'm still okay with the way the show ended because it left things open-ended, but I wish we got more closure. Still, there's that one line that I think sums up how Joss felt about the whole thing: "Anything you say now is gonna sound like goodbye." Joss didn't want us completely satisfied, because then the story would really be over.

nancyrross said...

Fan of Britney in the non ironic senseFan of Katie Holmes who must people think is untalentedFan of SMG who many on flist think is diva/anti-christFan of Bts season 6 and 7.Fan of Buffy and love her just as much as SpikeAnd probably more I can't think of right now *g*