Tuesday, June 19, 2007

In high school I was voted most likely to be a mental patient, hillbilly, or chimpanzee.



Okay. I am very late with the Fanfiction Authors Appreciation Week. Since it's like day four, I'm going to post a bunch of authors to catch up.I read fanfic all the time, although I haven't read as much lately as I have in the past. Still, I read at least a little bit every day. Mostly, I get my fic the old-fashioned way: from fic sites and archives. It's hard for me to keep up with fics on lj, so there are a lot of great lj authors that I am only beginning to discover, but I'm sure I'll get around to them. :)nautibitz: Yeah, I know she's well-known, and everybody has probably read her stuff (numerous times). But there's a reason for it! Nauti does some of the most authentic Buffy dialogue I've ever read. Her dialogue sounds like it could be taken directly from the show's scripts. Plus, her stories are fun! My favorite stories tend to be humorous and sexy, and that describes Nauti perfectly. But at the same time, I'm afraid it makes her stories sound like cotton-candy fluff. They're not. They hold up incredibly well, and I'm sure I'll look back at them years from now, and still love them. It would be hard for me to narrow down a favorite, but it's hard to top "In Heat". I also adore her "Crash and Burn" (I would say that highschool AUs are my guilty pleasure, except that I don't feel guilty about it), "Heart Don't Lie" (ditto with babyfics), and "Wild Things".treacle_a: I read her post-Chosen story "No Mistakes" and loved it. And her current WIP "Mortal Wounds" is even better. She managed to take a character I loathed the concept of (the Immortal), and created a fantastic story. Buffy's slow unraveling of the mystery of what he's done to her and Spike is pretty chilling.fer1213: Bless fer. It's nice to know there are still people out there who are enthusiastic about Spuffy. And it definitely shows in her writing. Her fill-in-the-blank stories are wonderful, and I loved her long stories "When We Fight" and "Third Chances". She writes great dialogue and plot, and even though she doesn't think so, her smut is pretty hot too. :)cousinjean: She manages to write Spuffy stories that would make great novels (if the publishers had any taste). I adore her "Perfect World", "Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground", and "The Butterfly Effect". She has also been overseeing (for the last four years!) the longest fanfiction saga I've ever bothered to read: "Dancing Lessons". I don't usually go for extremely long fics because they tend to become too far removed from canon. But cj always manages to get the tone just right. I can actually believe that her stories could happen in the Buffyverse.More later...

3 comments:

shaegwilatornrs said...

Whoa! Look at who you grouped goofy me with! *adores you and kisses your feet*Seriously, thanks so much. I'm really happy you like what I write. *hugs*

arncameuf0 said...

*hugs back*

ananfroma said...

Anything particularly good?I can't recall any of the authors at the moment, but there was one I liked called Wicked Wager.Two o'clock in the morning. Why?? Why??Yay for insomnia. I'll probably be going to bed earlier now since I have school.