Friday, June 15, 2007

Interesting poll



makd has conducted a poll on BtVS/AtS fandom, and has been publishing the results in her lj. She just posted the least favorite plotlines in her journal here.Spike Fans' most hated/frustrating/angering plots:21 votes Connor/Cordelia 17 Spike attempting to rape Buffy17 The Pots & Scoobies kicking Buffy out of her home12 The Girl in Question episode/Non-Resolution of A/B or S/B 10 Buffy beating Spike in Dead Things9 Spike hiding demon eggs in As You Were9 Cordelia leaving AtS9 Cordelia ascending to a higher plane8 Buffy leaving Spike in the basement in early season 78 The end of the Dawn & Spike friendship 8 Giles' and Wood's plot to kill SpikeNon-Spike Fans' most hated/frustrating/angering plots:17 votes Connor/Condelia16 Spike attempting to rape Buffy10 Cordelia's pregnancy with Jasmine9 The Girl in Question episode/Non-Resolution of A/B or S/B 9 Spike hiding demon eggs in As You Were9 Tara's Murder8 Lindsey's Murder/Lorne murdering Lindsey7 Cordelia ascending to another plane7 Cordelia leaving the series7 Wesley's deathOverall votes:38 votes Connor/Cordelia33 Spike attempting to rape Buffy23 The Pots and Scoobies kicking Buffy out of her own home21 The Girl in Question Episode/Non-resolution of A/B and S/B18 Spike hiding demon eggs in As You Were16 Cordelia leaving AtS16 Cordelia ascending to another plane15 Cordelia's pregnancy with Jasmine11 The end of the Spike and Dawn friendship10 Buffy beating Spike in Dead Things10 Giles and Wood plotting to kill Spike10 The unexplained Beljoxa's eye plot line9 Eve (fans really did dislike her!)9 Season 4, AtS - What's with that?Number of votes/% of votes for frustration, annoyance, anger, at Cordelia's storyline: 85/240 = 35%Number of votes/% of votes for yadda yadda, at Spike's storyline: 82/240 = 34%Number of votes/% of votes for yadda yadda, at AtS, Season 4 storyline: 95/240 = 40%Number of votes/% of votes for yadda yadda, at BtVs, Season 6 storyline: 72/240 = 30%Number of votes/% of votes for yadda yadda, at BtVS, Season 7 storyline: 44/240 = 18%Number of votes/% of votes for yadda yadda, at BtVS, Seasons 6-7 storylines: 116/240 = 48%If I had voted, I would have probably picked Connor/Cordelia, the Pots and Scoobies kicking Buffy out, The Girl in Question, Spike hiding demon eggs, Cordelia leaving AtS, Cordelia's ascending, Cordelia's pregnancy, the end of Spike and Dawn's friendship, and AtS Season 4.It's interesting. At the time, of course, I hated the attempted rape, and I still wish it hadn't happened. But then I think of all the great post-Grave fics that I've read dealing with it, and I'm not sure I would want to give up all that angst. :)I have to agree on Cordelia though. She was one of my faves and I hated her entire storyline after mid-season three. It's interesting that Spike fans and general fans alike were most frustrated with his and Cordelia's storylines.The Giles/Wood plot to kill Spike? Heh, I kinda love that one just for that moment when Buffy tells Wood that she'll let Spike kill him. :)Also, non-Spike fans seem more upset about character deaths. I'm still amazed at the amount of controversy that surrounded Tara's death. I mean, I liked Tara alright, but she wasn't a character that was anything more than peripheral most of the time. I know, homophobic dead lesbian blah blah. I just don't buy it. If Joss was homophobic, he wouldn't have featured a loving gay relationship on the show for three years.The Beljoxa's Eye? At this point, I'm getting sick of people mentioning this. It's becoming a symbol for just how much S7 sucked in some people's eyes. You know, I could complain about Acathla or the Mayor's Ascension, but I don't because that's not the point of the bloody storyline.I'm not surprised that there's frustration over AtS S4. It was just an incoherent mess. I've been watching the reruns again, and man, it gets more frustrating every time I see some of these episodes (Ooh, look Angelus in a cage! Wow!). I don't think the show ever fully recovered from it.Buffy beating Spike in Dead Things: I didn't hate this plot, I just mostly hated the fact that it was completely dropped in the next episode. Still, I see all these fics where Spike or Buffy brings it up like, a year after the fact, and I think "Do you really believe either of them are still thinking about that?" Get over it.Buffy leaving Spike in the basement: Um, did these people miss "Him"? I mean, I hate the episode more than anyone, but if you really pay attention, you'll notice that Buffy did get him out of the damn basement. *rolls eyes* Like swsa said once, if people had been paying attention in S7, they would have realized that they got pretty much everything they wanted.

4 comments:

abouotracle22yahoocom said...

First thought? Where's "magic=drugs"? I'd think that'd be at the top of the list.The Cordelia stuff...I can get with hating her S3-4 storylines, but I wasn't at all upset when she left. I didn't think the character was salvageable, CC didn't seem interested in actually working, and frankly I didn't miss her at all in S5. If anything, I wish they would've gotten rid of her earlier.I may be the only Spuffy shipper who *loves* TGIQ. Hilarious. And oddly, nothing about it upset me.Attempted rape? I think it was a legitimate storyline choice and fit where the characters were. I can't really argue at all for it being wrong...and yet, I'd still rather they hadn't gone there. But I've come to peace with it.But yeah, quite a few of these I was fine with and even liked (and by "liked", I just mean I thought it was good, upsetting drama). Giles/Wood trying to kill Spike, Tara's death, Wesley's death, DT alley scene, Scoobs kicking Buffy out of her house...I don't think I'd want to get rid of any of those.It is interesting to me to see all the AtS S4 stuff though, just because I know so many people who think that's the best season of either show. And yeah, I don't see it. I mostly just see a mess...a really big mess.

aeetempcemorrre said...

Where's "magic=drugs"? I'd think that'd be at the top of the list.Heh, you're right, I didn't even think about that one. As much as people bitch about that one, it should be at the top.I may be the only Spuffy shipper who *loves* TGIQ. Hilarious. And oddly, nothing about it upset me.I can deal with TGIQ. I just didn't particularly love it. Some of it was funny, and some of it just didn't make a whole lot of sense. Which I guess was the point. But at least we got confirmation that Buffy loves Spike, even if it came from Andrew.It is interesting to me to see all the AtS S4 stuff though, just because I know so many people who think that's the best season of either show. And yeah, I don't see it. I mostly just see a mess...a really big mess.Well, there was a time when I thought it was the best season. It got me interested again after the end of S3, but the more I watch the reruns, the more the whole fourth season just falls apart.

annfang7777yahoocom said...

swsa said virtually every single thing I was thinking. Why isn't magic-crack-addicted Willow on the list? I hate as much as anyone what was done to Cordelia's character, but I was more than ready for her to leave the show when she did because I'm not sure she could have been redeemed.But the AR, Tara's death, the Giles/Wood collaboration, Buffy being thrown out of her house, Buffy beating Spike...those were all riveting, if sometimes upsetting, storylines. As for the non-resolution of the S/B and A/B storylines in TGIQ, I for one was grateful. I would prefer no resolution to a resolution that I hate.

k0hihcmc0 said...

But the AR, Tara's death, the Giles/Wood collaboration, Buffy being thrown out of her house, Buffy beating Spike...those were all riveting, if sometimes upsetting, storylines.I think part of the problem is that some people don't want to see characters they like suffer, and others tend to react violently against storylines that conflict with their own personal worldview. They just don't see that that's where the drama comes from. Many Spike fans felt that the writers were trying to "gang up" on him. I don't really get it myself. There are a lot of valid criticisms of the latter season storylines, but some of it is just pettiness on the fans' parts.As for the non-resolution of the S/B and A/B storylines in TGIQ, I for one was grateful. I would prefer no resolution to a resolution that I hate.Gotta agree there.